Thursday, August 18, 2011

Portrait of Christie

I've decided that for my very first actual blog post I'm going to put up something that is very dear to me.  Those who kept up with my stuff on the other sites will have already seen this one but for those of you new to my work, this is a portrait of my precious little cousin. Her folks came up to me about it over Christmas dinner after looking at the work I've done in my portfolio and of course I jumped all over the prospect of that.  I took two photos of her to work from when I did this (in actuality I should've taken more and in better lighting) and then a few weeks later got around to starting on it.  36 hours later over the span of a week and a half, there she was.  I went through a lot of pains to get this done though, especially the pains of fighting my caricature tendencies and actually getting stuff accurate without over doing this or that.  In fact, the in-fighting continued right up until I started adding detail to the hair and such.  That moment taught me a valuable lesson in terms of seeing the big picture ahead of time in order to judge the likeness and overall direction.  I should've done the block in a bit more shapely, especially with the hair in the beginning, but hey you live and you learn.  That's how you get better.

Looking at the end result was one of the most endearing things I've ever experienced.  Almost brought me to tears and I typically don't budge.


No comments:

Post a Comment